Today’s blog is written by our very own, Melissa Stuckey, our 2018 intern!
Congrats! You booked your families fall session! Everything is great until you remember, “Oh no! What will we wear?”
Planning your outfit (let alone your whole families outfits) for pictures can be daunting! However, it does not have to be! Here’s a 3 step guide to help pick out family session attire & tips to remember!
First things first: Here are some things to remember as we go!
- Comfortable is best! Avoid clothes that you have to adjust a lot when you put them on. You want to be comfortable and be able to move easily!
- Patterns are great, however, they can also be distracting if there is more than one pattern. Typically one patterned item per family looks the best.
- Avoid logos and graphic tees as they draw a lot of attention & can be distracting in the overall photo.
Second, let’s talk color! You want your outfits to be complimentary! Here are 3 color schemes that work great! Chose ONE color scheme and then cater your outfits around that.
Here are 3 color scheme recommendations:
- Blues: navy, light blue, black, white
- Neutrals: white, light gray, light blue, tan/khaki
- Moody colors: Maroon/olive green/mustard yellow, white, navy, black,
Please note, we did not include the popular colors brighter yellow, green, or brown. Although we love these colors they don’t always photograph well! Additionally, most sessions are outside in parks and these places have a ton of green and brown already.
Third, here are some attire ideas for each family member!
- Flowy Maxi dress (can be a pattern just remember ONE pattern per family looks best)
- cute top/sweater with black, colored, or dark blue jeans
- Possibly a scarf and/or earrings
- Ankle boots or flats
- Button up shirt
- Dark jeans or Khaki pants
- Brown shoes
- Dresses with tights or leggings (to stay warm & looks adorable in pictures)
- Sweater or cute top and Dark jeans
- Cute boots
- Possibly a scarf or cute jacket
- Buttoned shirt
- Vneck tee or polo
- Jeans or khakis
- Brown shoes or non colorful shoes (i.e. tennis shoes can have color and logos on them that are flashy)
For Pinterest inspiration check out this board! www.pinterest.com/mcnorris/fall-family-session-wardrobe-ideas/
Lastly, here are some TIPS & TRICKS to help your session go smoother!
- For little ones (or even adults!) eat at a snack before your session so they’re happier & full!
- For moms: Again, we always want you to be yourself and be comfortable for pictures! However, a little extra make up really pops in pictures! Don’t feel like you have to apply a ton, just doing a little more or giving yourself time to do your makeup & hair really makes a difference! Maybe ask dad or a friend to watch the kiddos so you can have some time for yourself to get ready!
- Babies: Accidents sometimes happen. Bring an extra outfit just in case there needs to be a quick change!
- Bring a hair brush & hairspray for last minute fixes.
- Plan a fun thing to do after your session! Go get ice cream or let the kids pick dinner and make photos a fun memory as a family!